netmask / subnet 255.255.0.0 (/16)Gateway 10.230.1.1dns1 184.108.40.206dns2 220.127.116.11Remoterig 1 ports 5000 to 5003 IP 10.230.100.80Remoterig 2 ports 5004 to 5007 IP 10.230.100.81Remoterig 3 ports 5008 to 5011 IP 10.230.100.82Webswitch 1 port 5012Webswitch 2 5
I am about to move house, so only made a few QSOs in CQWW this weekend, mainly with pacific DX found via the cluster.
I heard one station in zone 27 weakly running a pile up so I joined in the fray to try and work a new band slot. After a while the QRM was bad and I couldn’t hear the DX. I decided to stop transmitting and wait for a “TU” so that I can get stuck in again without causing QRM.
Me: [I’ll wait for a TU before calling again]
DX: comes up from the noise “TU – qrz?”
Me: [too slow to drop my call. I’ll wait for the next QSO to be completed]
DX: “M0BPQ – 599 27”
Me: [How the hell did that happen? Quick! Tx a report] “M0BPQ 599 14”
DX: “M0BPQ TU X1YZ TEST”
So, a valid QSO from my side, but how did he know I was there? He must have been using a code reader of some sort and picked me off the screen?
The guys from Wimo have been really quick on email and kindly sent out a new boom to fix my incorrectly packed antenna. This arrived at the Scout site on Saturday. The problem is that the box had a neat cut round the centre and the new boom is bent like a banana in two axes.
I hope the Wimo guys can claim for this from their courier as I need another one!
I took a closer look at the remaining parts to build the last yagi and found two potential problems. One is easy to solve – an element without a hole through it which I re-drilled in a flash. The second problem is not so good. The Driven Element has a tag on one side which I assume is used to align the elements and ensure they are all driven in phase. The problem I have is that I can’t align this DE with the other three in the stack without turning it round backwards! Three of the antennas have the DE tag on the left when the connector is facing forwards, whilst the final one has it on the right. Do Wimo produce the DEs in different orientations? Or has the tag been placed on the wrong side? How do I find out? I can’t use an ohm meter on a folded dipole…. Answers on an email postcard, please
I have been buiding some wimo yagis to use for JOTA,but have hit some problems with one antenna. Here are the parts laid out for the two new yagis that I bought. All looks well!
But looking a bit more closely there is a problem with the boom sections. The top pair are OK, with the rear boom section at the very top of the picture and the front boom being the next one down. However the two sections supplied for the next antenna are identical. This photo was taken at the point where the DE attaches. Apologies for the quality of the photos!
So, have I been sent 2 x rear booms? I think not. If you compare the top boom section and the bottom two then holes do not line up. This is at the D1 hole.
I could have flipped the booms through 90 degree and redrilled, but as the picture below shows, the boom sections supplied are too short.
So - I now have three antennas complete, and have written to wimo to solve the boom problem with the third. Let's hope the customer service is good...
Working 8P6 is nothing special, but it was nice to get 8P6DR, who is my HWCG club mate -G3RWL. Here's a video of a him working PY some time later!
For the first time in almost 3 years I got the chance to operate in WPX CW. Conditions seemed to be good and I had a lot of fun over the 6 or so hours I was on (in bursts). Over all I made 339 Qs in 66 DXCC without really trying. The most fun I have had on the radio for some time!
Summary of DXCC entities worked during WPX-CW by MØBPQ on all bands